Thank you for choosing Physicians Regional Healthcare System for your diagnostic needs. This page will instruct you on how to prepare for your test(s). Please arrive 15 minutes prior to your appointment in order to complete the registration process. For an even faster registration, please bring your MedKey card. If you do not have a MedKey card and would like one, please pick up an application at either hospital.
On the day of your test(s), please bring the following with you:
- This brochure and any additional orders from your physician
- Your insurance card(s)
- A photo ID
If there are any prior studies at another facility that may be required for comparison, please bring them with you.
Please follow these instructions (unless otherwise directed by your physician).
Diagnostic Imaging Procedures
For any questions about your Diagnostic Imaging Procedure(s), please call (239) 304-4951 for Pine Ridge patients and (239) 354-6105 for Collier patients.
We encourage you to bring the films from previous mammograms with you. Also, cutting down your caffeine intake several days before your exam can make the exam more comfortable.
Please wear a two-piece outfit to your exam. Do not wear any perfume, deodorant, body powder, or moisturizer from the waist up
Bone Density/DEXA Scan
Do not wear any clothing with zippers or other metal attachments
Upper G.I. Series
The night prior to your exam, do not eat or drink after midnight
Two (2) evenings prior to your exam, take a laxative of your choice.
The day before the exam, drink only clear liquids. At 4 p.m., take two (2) ounces of magnesium citrate (available at any pharmacy). Do not eat or drink after midnight.
Following your exam, Drink plenty of liquids over the next twenty-four (24) hours.
CT (CAT) Scan Procedures
Abdomen/Pelvis with IV and/or Oral Contrast:
Do not eat or drink anything for four (4) hours. Take essential medications with a small amount of water. Notify your physician if you are Diabetic, have Renal insufficiency or an allergy to Iodine contrast medium or barium sulfate.
If you are required to drink the Oral Contrast; you must pick up the Redi-Cat at Desk 17
Radiology 1-2 days before your exam and follow the instructions for drinking below:
- First bottle of Redi-Cat two (2) hours prior to test at __________________
- Second bottle of Redi-Cat one (1) hour prior to test at ________________
Chest/Neck/Brain with IV Contrast
- Do not eat or drink anything for four (4) hours
- Take essential medications with a small amount of water
- Notify your physician if you are Diabetic, have Renal insufficiency or an allergy to Iodine
- contrast medium or barium sulfate
No Oral Contrast for Kidney Stone, Urogram, Adrenal/Renal Gland, Aorta or Stent
Protocols. This also includes ALL CT Angiography Exams.
CT Exams without contrast: NO preparation necessary.
When you arrive at the MRI Suite, you will be asked to remove any glasses, wigs, dentures, and partial plates before your exam. Before leaving home:
- Do not wear any clothing with zippers or other metal attachments
- Remove any hairpins, barrettes, clips, jewelry, and eye makeup
- Do not bring any card with a magnetic strip (credit card, bank card, etc.) to your procedure.
Contact the Radiology Department immediately (239) 304-4888 for Pine Ridge patients and (239) 354-6105 for Collier patients) if you have any of the following conditions:
- Cardiac Pacemaker
- Intracranial Aneurysm Clips
- Any metal implants
If you are claustrophobic and need sedation, you will need an order from your physician. You will also need to arrive one (1) hour prior to your appointment time and will need to have a driver with you.
Abdominal (MRCP) MRI
- Do not eat or drink fox six (6) hours prior to exam
- Take medications with water only
Abdominal Limited or Complete
- Do not eat or drink for eight (8) hours prior to exam
- Take medications with small amount of water
Pelvic Limited or Complete/Renal Ultrasound
- Drink 32 ounces of water prior to exam time
- DO NOT EMPTY YOUR BLADDER prior to the completion of your test
- Take medications with small amounts of water
- You may eat and drink as usual
There are no special instructions for any other Ultrasound Study.
Nuclear Medicine Procedures
Most tests require a radioactive-isotope injection. Be sure to tell your physician if you have diabetes.
Exercise or Pharmacologic Stress Tests with Nuclear Imaging
See Instructions for Nuclear Stress Testing – Stress Tests.
- You cannot be on any thyroid medication for six to eight (6-to-8) weeks before the test
- You cannot have had an x-ray or CT Scan in which contrast dye was injected into your
- system within the last six (6) weeks
HIDA and Gastric Emptying Studies
Do not eat or drink for six (6) hours before the test.
There are no special instructions for any other Nuclear Medicine Test. Infusion exams are not performed in the Radiology Department.
Nuclear Stress Tests
1 Day Test:
The resting and stress portions of the test will both be performed on the same day. A nuclear stress test may take approximately four (4) hours. During these waiting periods, you will be able to visit with family and friends.
2 Day Test (Pine Ridge only):
The resting and stress portions of the test will be performed on different days. Please allow 2-3 hours for each portion of the test. Preparations for the treadmill stress test and the nuclear stress tests are similar. A treadmill stress test takes approximately forty-five (45) minutes.
The morning of the test:
- If you are a diabetic, please consult your physician regarding the use of your medications or insulin
- You may drink water, juice or milk to take all medications as prescribed, unless otherwise directed by your physician
- Do not consume any caffeine or decaffeinated coffee or soda twenty-four (24) hours prior to testing (caffeinated products include soda, tea, coffee and chocolate)
- Wear a comfortable two-piece outfit with walking or running shoes
Failure to comply with the above instructions may require this test to be rescheduled.
The radioisotopes for this exam are specific to your exam. Please give a 24-hour cancellation if you are unable to keep your appointment: (239) 304-4888.
Pulmonary Function Testing (Collier only)
- Do not use your bronchodilator medications at least four (4) hours prior to testing
- Wear loose-fitting clothes